Thoughts that bring you in a negative, pessimistic or plain lousy frame of mind can quickly turn into a downward spiral. If we want to stop slipping down the slippery slope it is important that we catch the slide when it is still just happening.
Become aware is certainly a critical start. You begin to notice what is going on. Then you help yourself to come out of it. Think of it like this. There is a well. You fall into it. You realize it. Now you help yourself to reach for the rope to come out of the well. And move on.
What are some of the things you can do when the mind starts attracting not-so-good thoughts?
There are many things you can do. And to know what your options are in advance, when you are feeling happy and uplifted, makes the difference. Because when you are in the not-so-positive mood, nothing seems attractive. Okay, I am exaggerating. Some things may look appealing. But it really depends how intensely you are experiencing low-energy-negative thoughts.
So, PLEASE take this time to write down 10 things, or at least 5 of your most favorite things to do that give you joy, make you smile, just simply make you feel good. When you write it down, you become aware of it and this awareness can become your lifeline when you really need it.
5 things that are MY LIFE LINE....things that make me feel really good:
1. Watching the clouds roll by across a blue sky. Looking at the big sky, day or night, shifts me to a whole different level.
2. Playing with my cat-friend, Sunflower.
3. Watching a film, especially animation or a comedy. I get a feeling of coziness and home.
4. Listening to the Dalai Lama. I just Google Dalai Lama or go to the Dalai Lama website to listen to this compassionate soul. I can't help but smile when I listen to him.
5. Hanging out with friends or just calling up a friend and saying, "what's up" makes my day.
And 5 more things....
1. Taking a shower. Soothes and relaxes my mind.
2. Meditating. Closing my eyes, breathing and just sensing the vibrations in my body.
3. Playing a board game. This necessitates buddies! When possible the jungle jam makes the day!
4. Getting outside for a walk out in nature and remembering how we are so abundantly blessed and have all we need within us.
5. Watching a funny video of kittens or puppies or any nature documentary. Smiles. Smiles and even Giggles are a result!
So what are your 5 things that serve as your Life-line? ...and then try coming up with another 5!